For Educators: Women of the Congressional Black Caucus
Using primary and secondary sources, students will learn about the role of women in the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC). African-American Congresswomen play a major role in a broad range of domestic and international issues and influence legislation on such issues as civil rights, education and healthcare. Students will learn about their work as members of the CBC; the challenges and successes they experience as members of Congress; and their passion to improve the lives of all Americans.
Grade Level: 6-12
Essential Question: What legislative contributions have African-American women made to Congress on domestic and international social and political issues?
Using documents, images, and articles from the Avoice Web site, students will:
National U.S. History Standards
Era 9: Postwar United States (1945 to early 1970s)
Standard 4: The struggle for racial and gender equality and the extension of civil liberties.
Era 10: Contemporary United States (1968 to the present)
Standard 1: Recent development in foreign policy and domestic politics.
Standard 2: Economic, social, and cultural development in contemporary United States.
National Standards for Civics and Government
Content Standards — Grades 6-12
1. What are civic life, politics, and government?
• What is civic life? What is politics? What is government? Why are government and politics necessary? What purpose should government serve?
3. How does the government established by the Constitution embody the purposes, values and principles of American democracy?
• How does the American political system provide for choice and opportunities for participation?
5. What are the roles of citizens in American democracy?
• How can citizens take part in civic life?
National Visual Arts Standards
Content Standards 5: Analyzing contemporary and historic meaning in specific art works through cultural aesthetic inquiry.
Content Standards 6: Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines.
National Standards for Language Arts
NL.Eng.K-12.1: Reading for Perspective
Students read a wide range of print and non-print texts to build understanding of texts, themselves, and of the cultures of the United States and the world and to acquire new information.
Select an activity below to view full activity guidelines:
Optional Warm-Up Activity: Vocabulary Building
Fact Gathering Worksheet (pdf)
K-W-L Worksheet (pdf)